Sydney City (MOMO)
Moving Out Moving On (MOMO) provides outreach support to women with or without children in the inner city of Sydney, who are escaping from or experiencing Domestic and Family Violence or are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
The service prioritises work with;
- Women impacted by Domestic and Family Violence
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women impacted by Domestic and Family Violence
- Women from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds impacted by Domestic and Family Violence.
A closer look at MOMO
MOMO provides services through outreach, meeting with women in flexible locations across the community such as parks, libraries or cafés, essentially wherever people feel most comfortable. The team relies heavily on formal agreements that we have with four service partners across the inner city. These services provide a space to enable us to meet with people and assist MOMO to be more readily accessible to women who wish to access support.
MOMO staff are located at the following services regularly each week:
- Surry Hills Neighbourhood Centre
- Newtown Neighbourhood Centre
- Housing NSW City Office – Strawberry Hills
- Redfern Community Centre.
We also provide monthly support at the Women’s Hub based in Ultimo and Potts Point in collaboration with the NSW Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit.
At MOMO we provide holistic case management support with a focus on an individual’s sense of safety across all aspects of their wellbeing. We support women to navigate the complex systems associated with gaining housing and accessing support services for themselves and their children. We aim to support all people we come into contact with in a way which helps inform, uphold and exercise their human rights and enable informed decision making which aligns with the person’s priorities and goals.
Every individual's support needs are different
Below are just a few of the ways that the MOMO team have provided support to people:
- Supported women to navigate and understand the different housing options available
- Assisted with the completion of documentation for access to financial support or housing assistance
- Provided information and referrals regarding Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders (ADVOs) and Family Law matters. MOMO is unable to provide legal advice, however, does refer individuals to organisations that can
- Supported access to services that women have stated they needed including counselling, financial counselling or advocacy, health services, parenting support, employment and education
- Purchase of necessary items to support children educational needs including laptops and school uniforms
- Assistance to connect to other supports or community if relocating outside of the inner city.
Find out more about who MOMO works with.
You can contact MOMO directly
Redfern Community Centre
29-53 Hugo St, Redfern NSW 2016, Australia
Newtown Neighbourhood Centre
Bedford St, Newtown NSW 2042, Australia
Tuesdays 11am-1pm (Fortnightly)
219 Cleveland St, Redfern NSW 2016, Australia